Type: Historical Society
This society preserves and organizes campaigns to restore historical buildings in Belfountain, Ontario. One such building is the Melville White Church built in 1837. Under an agreement with the Town of Caledon the Belfountain Heritage Society is restoring the building to its original state.
- The Melville White Church reflects the religious beliefs of the original Scottish Presbyterian pioneers in the Caledon area. The Church was named after Andrew Melville who was an early follower of John Wesley, the founder of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland in the 17th century.
- The Melville Church is one of the last remaining Ontario timber frame churches predating the Victorian era. Its history began in 1820 and continued until the dissolution of the congregation in 1964.
Once restored, the society will rent the Melville White Church for weddings, recitals, heritage displays, readings, exhibits and other community functions.
Volunteers are welcome to help with upcoming events planned by the society and for future planning of restoration projects.
Address & Contact Information:
The Belfountain Heritage Society
c/o Judy Mabee, Secretary
760 Forks of the Credit Road
Belfountain, ON L7K 0E5
Hours of Operation:
Key Words: architecture