A museum and archive for the York Region District School Board located in a schoolhouse built in 1872.
Conservation / Preservation:
Archives / Library
Materials from the York Region District School Board and its predecessors including: York Region Board of Education, older community school boards from the area (Markham, East Gwillimbury, King Township, etc.), spanning from 1850 to more contemporary items.
- Attendance sheets
- Financial transactions (cash)
- Building plans
- Curriculum development
- Classroom books
- Misc correspondence
- Videos, photographs
- Textbooks from late 19th century and 20th century
- Desks and slates from late 19th century
- Children’s games and toys
- Equipment such as: typewriters, projectors, stereos, glass slides
- Sports related memorabilia: t-shirts from sports teams, school banners, misc sports trophies schools awarded to students
Re-enactments / Theatre
Museum offers school aged children artefact analysis and experiential tours, recreating the atmosphere of a classroom in 1850 and 1900.
Exhibits are located at public offices of the York Region district School Board. Online exhibits are available on the museum website.
When possible, they accept internships and placements from other organizations and also YRDSB co-op students. Volunteers assistn in designing and delivering public programming, managing the archival holdings, and the development of the digital collection.
Address & Contact Information:
21 Renfrew Dr
Markham, ON L3R 8H3
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday 8:30am-4:30pm, Summer Monday to Thursday 8:30am-4:30pm. Appointment required.
Key Words: education, school