This building opened in 1899 as Toronto’s third City Hall. Following the opening of the fourth and current City Hall in 1999, Old City Hall was threatened with demolition during the planning of the Eaton Centre. A group of concerned citizens and community activists, known as the “Friends of Old City Hall,” convinced the city to preserve this important architectural landmark. It was declared a National Historic Site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada in 1989, and is currently used as a court house for the Ontario Court of Justice.
- Clock tower, first floor exhibits, grand staircase, memorial window, and war memorial
- George A. Reid Murals, city council chamber; Romanesque grotesques, collection of photographs and other artefacts; stained-glass windows
Exhibit cabinets are found on the main floor of the entrance lobby.
Address & Contact Information:
60 Queen Street W, Toronto,Ontario, M5H 2N2
Phone: (416) 338 7320
Hours of Operation:
Key Words: architecture, government