Type: Heritage Building
This building houses the suite of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, and offices for members of the provincial parliament (MPPs). The building is surrounded by Queen’s Park. Its main mission is to act as the governing body of Ontario.
Conservation / Preservation:
Archives / Library
The Ontario Legislative library is mandated to provide research and information services to Members and staff of the Ontario Legislature, caucuses, and staff of the Legislative Assembly.
Statutes, government publications.
- Legislative and Community Exhibits
- Permanent exhibits highlighting the history and architecture of the Legislative Building, Ontario’s natural heritage, and the Legislative process
- History and significance of the parliamentary tradition of the Mace.
- School tours
- ESL and French language tours for the general public
- Scavenger Hunt at the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
- Art and architecture tours
- Tour for scouting and guiding groups
- Victorian Tea and Tour
- View parliament sessions and exploring chamber
The Ontario Legislature Internship Programme is designed to provide backbench Members of the Legislative Assembly with highly qualified assistants. At the same time, by giving Interns practical experience in the day to day work of the Legislature, it provides them with the opportunity to supplement their academic training through regular academic discussions and the writing of an academic paper on a topic of their choice. Interns also have the opportunity to visit other legislatures to ensure a comprehensive knowledge of the legislative process. Student Interns can work as tour guides or in the library.
Address & Contact Information:
1 Queen’s Park (north of College St. and Queen’s Park Crescent)
Ontario Legislature Internship Programme
Room 1303A Whitney Block
Toronto, Ontario M7A 1A2
Hours of Operation:
Opening hours: Summer: Daily from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The rest of the year – Monday to Friday from 10:00a.m.to 4:00p.m.
Key Words: architecture, government