Toronto’s oldest house, Scadding Cabin, is a one-room cabin built by the Queen’s Rangers in 1794 for John Scadding, clerk to Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe. In 1879 the York Pioneers’ Association moved the cabin from its original site on the east bank of the Don River (where present-day Queen Street crosses the Don Valley) to its present location at Exhibition Place, an act now recognized as the city’s earliest example of architectural preservation. It is now open during Doors Open and the Canadian National Exhibition as a museum of pioneer life.
Scadding Cabin is constructed of squared, white pine logs with dovetailed corners and is furnished as a typical settler’s first house, with artefacts dating from the 1790s to the 1850s
Re-enactments / Theatre
Costumed volunteers will happily answer your questions about the early history of York (Toronto). York Pioneers often organize displays of settler skills such as spinning and wood carving, and presentations by members of First Nations.
Address & Contact Information:
2482 Yonge Street, PO Box 45026
Hours of Operation:
During the CNE, from noon to 7:00 p.m.. Check the York Pioneers website and social media for openings and events on other days.
Key Words: pioneer, settlement