This institution aims to identify, acquire, preserve and provide access to corporate records – regardless of format – documenting the historical development and achievements of the University Health Network, its member institutions (Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, and Toronto Rehab), as well as their predecessor bodies.
Conservation / Preservation:
- Fonds of doctors, medical students and researchers including, Dr. Donald Henry Cowan (1940 – 2011), Dr. O Harold Warick (2006 – 2008), Dr. W.G. Bigelow (1932 – 1993), Edward Shorter (1978 – 1994), Mary E. Clarke (1937 – 1940).
- Toronto General Hospital fonds (1819 – 1986), consisting of administrative records of the administration and numerous medical departments.
- Grace Hospital Ephemera Collection (1912, 1919), which focuses on nurse training. It consists of photographs and objects related to Grace Hospital and its predecessor, the Toronto Homeopathic Hospital, and its staff and students including Grace Hospital Training School for Nurses.
- Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital fonds (1921 – 1997), includes textual records, photographs, architectural drawings, audio and video cassettes.
- Toronto Hospital Records (1986 – 2000) and Ephemera Collection (1874 – 2011), includes a wide range of textual administrative records, photographs and drawings.
- Toronto Western Hospital School of Nursing (1822 – 1998), Ephemera Collection (1909 – 1976) and Hospital fonds (1894 – 1986), consists of textual records, photographs and architectural drawings.
- University Health Network Ephemera Collection (1999 – 2011) and Record Group (1941 – 2015), includes textual records and photographs.
- Occasional online or travelling exhibits documenting the history of the hospital.
- Participation in Door’s Open, Toronto’s architecture festival.
Address & Contact Information:
610 University Avenue
*Archival material is held across a number of locations so an appointment is required to coordinate a visit for research purposes.
Hours of Operation:
Key Words: health, hospitals