Type: Historical Society
This society seeks to preserve and tell the history of Toronto’s West Junction neighbourhood through its archives, tours, public lectures, and publications.
Conservation / Preservation:
The Archives contains
- Photographs of area residents and buildings, including photographs from the TTC and City of Toronto photograph collections.
- Files on local people, places, and events.
- Reports, maps, photographs, documenting the history of the local rail yards and CPR engine house.
- Audio interviews with area residents documenting life in the early twentieth century Junction and the area’s transportation history.
- Back issues of the Society’s newsletter, The Leader and Recorder.
- Detailed area building histories.
- Rare books and directories, including a special, fire insurance Goad atlas which depicts the Junction in great detail.
- clippings from old, out-of-circulation Junction newspapers.
This society maintains a small collection of artefacts documenting the history of the Junction, including trophies from local sports teams, and goods produced at local factories.
Approximately eight public lectures on area and Toronto history, to coincide with membership meetings.
Occasional walking and driving tours west Toronto. The society typically partners with Heritage Toronto to organize a tour at least once per year.
Occasional publications on the history of the Junction neighbourhod. The Society also regularly publishes a journal for Society members, The Leader and Recorder.
Searchable database of photographs from the Archive’s collection of photographs and digital copies of The Leader and Recorder.
This society accepts volunteers to perform a variety of duties, including administration, development, and work in the library. Typically volunteers in the library are required to answer questions about local history.
Address & Contact Information:
Annette Street Public Library
145 Annette Street
Hours of Operation:
Archives are open Monday, 3:00pm – 5:00pm; Thursday, 6:00pm – 8:00pm.
Key Words: neighbourhood