The Society publishes The Scanner, a journal dedicated to the history of Great Lakes Ships and Shipping eight times annually. Each issue is anchored by a major research piece entitled, ‘Ship of the Month’. Back issues of The Scanner are available on the society’s website.
- Harbour Trust, Harbour Commission and Port Authority board minutes and correspondence
- Legal and financial papers
- Central registry files
- Departmental records
- Textual records
- Over 20,000 photos, plans, books and reports
- Original documentation dates back to the creation of the Toronto Harbour Trust in the 1850s
- Duplicated documentation dates back to the early 1830s, such as engineer drawings
Display cases are located on the ground floor of the Ports Toronto building, and consist of images of Toronto and Toronto’s waterfront. Occasionally archival material is on display in the lobby of the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. The Ports Toronto Archives also participates in publicity events such as Doors Open Toronto, and also regularly supplies images for online use on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. Archival material has also been used for Public Affairs displays created for public viewing in places such as BCE Place, the CN Tower and the PATH system.