This estate has been home to four generations of the Harris family, which had a long tradition of military service. Originally purchased in 1836 by Captain James Beveridge Harris, the estate has been restored and is furnished with original family artefacts to reflect daily life in the era of World War One. The first home burned in 1855 and was re- as constructed 1856 in the Georgian Revival style. The Museum opened to the public in 1995 is now owned and operated by the City of Mississaugaas one of the Museums of Mississauga.
- Rich original artefact collection, letters, photographs the Harris family ofBenares.
- Artefacts are from the WWI era (1916-1918) and are generally domestic items that would be found in a household of this time period, such as kitchen items, tools, pottery and china. There are also items donated by the Harris family dating as far back as the 1830’s.
Changing and permanent exhibits are offered.
Guided tours are offered to the general public and group tours can also be arranged. Tour guides and historic interpreters are in costume reflecting 19th century dress.
Some of the programs offered to the public include cooking over a wood stove from the time period.
Student volunteers from high school or university are accepted to help with special events offered. They also work with the volunteer coordinator to maintain collections or limited archival records. The museum is open to accommodating students’ interests.
Address & Contact Information:
1507 Clarkson Rd N
Phone: 905 615-4860 ext. 2113
Hours of Operation:
Tours are offered to the general public from Wednesday-Sunday, 9am-5pm.
Key Words: household, military